Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Daylily Deep in My Heart x Calamity Jane



---Deep in My Heart x Calamity Jane---

This seedling has a huge blossom, although I failed to
list the measurement. Obvious veining on the petals,
and nice eye/edge color, but I can foresee crossing it 
for a larger eye zone and wider edges. At any rate,
you can see what this cross produced. The
initial cross is one that I would not repeat as it is 
not that pleasing to me. Often times the 
efficacy of this endeavor escapes me.

The green throat came from Calamity Jane as
well as a bit more edge and the veining. Looks
like the width of the eye zone too. I wonder
if the reversal of this cross would produce the large 
eye by crossing this seedling with Deep in My Heart
as the pollen parent. Might try that, and then
again, might not. It depends on what captures
my attention in the next season.


---Deep in My Heart---
5 x 32 inches, Season Mid, EV, RE
Blooms larger than 5 inches here
Pod-Pollen Fertile

Maryott reg. 2010 (Meet Joe Black x (Gillian x
Spacecoast Starburst))
Slow to increase here.

Note: The red coloring on this photo is a tad drab.
The flower is a more striking red than is shown
here, but notice the large eye that covers most
of the blossom, and this is the trait that I admire
about this particular cultivar.

We did lose a few fans on this one due to below
zero temperatures last winter. It was a surprise
to see it bounce back as well as it did and bloom.
Below is a photo of the papa.


---Calamity Jane---
6.5 x 28 inches
Trimmer reg. 2008, Season E, RE, EV, 26 buds, 3 br.
(Elisa Dallas x Priscilla's Smile)
Pod-Pollen Fertile
Fast to increase here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.